Congratulations to the recipients of the 2019 George E. Thibault, MD Nexus Award!
Learn more about the Thibault Nexus Award recipients through their Nexus Summit presentations.
- CHC Nexus Presentation: Postgraduate Nurse Practitioner Residency Training
- NIIOH Nexus Presentation: Building a Culture for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice in Oral Health
2019 Thibault Nexus Award Press Releases
2019 Thibault Nexus Award Honorable Mentions:
Thomas Jefferson Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education
SAGE Program at University of North Texas Health Science Center
The Navigator Program at Indiana University
About the George E. Thibault, MD Nexus Award
The George E. Thibault, MD Nexus Award celebrates exemplary interprofessional collaboration in the United States and those who are thinking and acting differently where practice and education connect in health systems.
This award will recognizes two Nexus partnerships of health systems, clinics, educational institutions, and/or community organizations for extraordinary contributions to the Nexus: Redesigning both healthcare education and healthcare delivery simultaneously to be better integrated and more interprofessional while demonstrating outcomes.
In 2019, the National Center will recognize two Nexus partnerships demonstrating:
- Local, Single-System Implementation
- Broader, Multi-System Implementation
The simultaneous transformation of the health system and education requires leadership in both large system and local innovation of all types and at all levels. Focused innovative programs can have profound ripple effects in systems, as can visionary large multi-system initiatives. The lessons from both are needed and important. The National Center seeks to identify and recognize partnerships that are moving the needle in interprofessional practice and education within and across organizations.
The two 2019 Thibault Nexus Award categories in 2019 are:
- Single-System Implementation: Meaningful integration of interprofessional education and collaborative practice in local implementation predominantly in a single setting or local network that leverages strong education and practice partnerships.
- Multi-System Implementation: Visionary cross-organizational, systems-level partnerships with multiple organizations and groups in partnership with people/patients, families and communities such as statewide or regional IPE collaboratives, health system-community-education organizations partnerships, and national organizations.
Application, Selection Process, and Notification
The Nexus Summit 2019 planning and awards committee will review applications for alignment with the criteria below and the concept of the Nexus.
The deadline for submission has passed. Awardees will be notified by Friday, June 28, 2019.
- The initiative demonstrates leadership and innovation in the integration of collaborative practice and interprofessional education, in academic and practice partnership(s) at the specified award level.
- The initiative been operational for at least two years as of June 7, 2019; and
- The initiative is associated with measureable outcomes
A representative of the initiative must be able to attend Nexus Summit 2019 on August 18-20 in Minneapolis and share highlights from the initiative or practice model on August 20 during the Award Celebration (representative will receive free registration, see below).
Each Thibault Nexus Awardee will receive:
- $2,500 monetary award
- One complimentary registration to the Nexus Summit 2019
- One complimentary registration to the Nexus Summit 2020
2018 Awardee: Florida International University
- Individual Organizations:
- MGH Institute, Massachusetts General Hospital
- PITT Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education
- University of Kansas Center for Interprofessional Practice, Education, and Research
- UNITE and IGNITE, The University of Chicago
- Statewide Organizations:
- Los Angeles County Department of Health Sciences, Interprofessional Collaborative Practice at LAC+USC Medical Center
- Arizona Nexus
- Texas Interprofessional Education Consortium
- National Organization:
- Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers, National Center for Complex Health and Social Needs
2017 Awardee: The University of Washington, University of Washington Medical Center’s Regional Heart Center
- Saint Louis University Center for Interpofessional Education and Research
- Creighton University Center for Interprofessional Practice, Education and Research
2016 Awardee: University of Southern Indiana
- Midwest Inteprofessional Practice, Education, and Research Center – Grand Valley State University
- South Dakota Interprofessional Practice and Education Collaborative
- University of Rochester Department of Family Medicine and Highland Family Medicine
- VA Centers of Excellence in Primary Care Education
About the George E. Thibault, MD Nexus Award
The National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education honors the contributions of George E. Thibault, MD who served as the President of the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation from 2008 - 2018. During his presidency, the Macy Foundation made extraordinary commitments to interprofessional education, linked with better outcomes. Dr. Thibault and the Macy Foundation have hosted many conferences and reports on graduate medical education, interprofessional education, and team-based practice. The seminal report “Aligning IPE with Clinical Practice Resign” was foundational to the vision of the Nexus at the National Center. Dr. Thibault was also instrumental in the founding of the National Center. We honor his legacy in IPE through the naming of this award.
Questions regarding the Thibault Nexus Award can be directed to Angela Willson at firstname.lastname@example.org.